Thursday, April 20, 2006

An interview I did for Music Industry Online

I've been going through my archives & that's why I'm posting all this older shit.
This is an interview I did back in May, 2002. It was done for Music Industry Online.

===============
Interview with DJP from the INISHI8 Drum'n'Bass Crew
Author: The MIO Team
Date: May 21, 2002

The sixth MIO DJ Q & A session finds us talking to Drum 'n Bass DJ, djP. He is part of the Inishi8 crew promoting and bringing high quality Drum 'n Bass parties to the masses.

What is your DJ Name?
Hmmm....Well. To be honest I never spent too much time thinking about it (hence the lack of originality:-). Although most of my mates have been calling me "djP" for years, so I thought "What the hell!!". Suggestions are welcome ;-)

Do you have a website?
Yes, check out www.inishi8.co.za. We are busy updating it at the moment, so please be patient.

What style of music do you play?
Predominantly dark, fast and furious tech-step Drum 'n Bass, although I do enjoy playing a number of different styles. Ultimately it depends on what's going to keep the dancefloor cooking at around 180ยบ.

You're part of the INISHI8 Drum 'n' Bass Crew. Tell us a little more about it?
Yeah man, INISHI8 rocks!! Our primary objective is to promote South African Drum 'n Bass DJ's, producers, and up-and-coming artists, with the goal of elevating local Drum 'n Bass to an international level. INISHI8 started off under the Ambush Productions logo, bringing cutting-edge international artists to SA, and influencing the ever-increasing demand for Drum 'n Bass to the SA Massive. Among others, some of the more recent artists that we have brought out include the likes of DJ RED, and of-course the unforgettable performance of the US's own DIESELBOY two years in a row. Being part of a crew like this isn't easy, it takes a lot of time and effort to organise events of this nature. Apart from DJing, I help out with promotion, distribution, marketing and general admin. Stay tuned for more info on our next event - DYLAN @ SUBLIME 25 May - This event is also the launch of our bi-weeklies at Sublime.

Where do you think Drum 'n' Bass is going in South Africa? Is there a growing market for it here?
Drum 'n Bass in Johannesburg took quite a big knock a while back with the closing down of 206, and Reality changing their downstairs floor to House & Hip Hop. It's really sad to see that an entire genre of music can be so heavily influenced just by two night clubs. 9 out of 10 Advertisers and sponsors don't see the potential in the D&B scene, add to that the fact that you never hear Drum & Bass on radio stations which leads to a case of "Lack of exposure" and that's why it has become even more difficult to promote, and to throw really successful events. Don't fret! It is getting better. I personally think that there is HUGE potential for Drum 'n Bass in SA provided that dedicated crews like INISHI8 and our counterparts Way West Wreckordings stay in the picture. Take my word for it, Drum 'n Bass is going to be making a monumental comeback in the next few years. Watch this space!!

Do you have any current club, night or radio residencies?
I currently play at all the parties that INISHI8 throw. I'm also playing at the next Way West Wreckordings party at 115 Anderson Street on 11 May. As far as the radio goes, INISHI8 are organising a bi-weekly Drum 'n Bass radio show on 5FM. Stay tuned for more info!!!

Do you use vinyl, CDs or a combination and why?
Is that a rhetorical question? SL1200's are my weapon of choice, Vinyl is my ammo! Although I do enjoy having CD's as an option as well. I sometimes test tracks on the audience to decide wether or not to buy the vinyl. Nothing digital can compare with the sub-bass that you get when using analogue. Nuff said!!!

Do you find it easy to get the style of music you play in South Africa from the local record stores or is the majority of your buying from overseas?
Unfortunately there aren't many record shops in Jhb that stock D&B, and the ones that do aren't really into D&B, and therefore their selection isn't top-notch or even current. I buy most of my records on the net, Chemical Records is my favourite supplier.

What is your favourite track at the moment?
It's a toss-up between the storming remix by Stakka&Skynet of SUBSTRATA's "Airstrike" on Technorganic recordings, and the raving flip-side of a white label from The Giana Brotherz of Basswerk recordings in Germany.

Do you have any South African produced tracks in your record box? If not, why?
Not yet, but I'm keen to get my mitts on "Counterstrike's Pressure/Questions" release on Dune/Allied Recordings. Also keen to get a pressing of "Excessive Youth" and "Thunder" by INISHI8's very own talented producers AMBUSH & ORGANIC. The only reason I don't have any SA artists in my bag is because of the lack of record shops stocking local D&B. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, Counterstrike are the only D&B outfit in SA that have a full release out there. Go Justin & Eaton!

Have you produced your own track or considered it?
Heehee, yeah, but nothing finished. I have lots of bits and pieces of tracks that I have started, but nothing complete as yet :-(

What is your favourite venue in SA?
That's a tough one! I prefer once-off events that are in different place every time. There is a growing trend of promoters hiring unheard of venues, rather than hiring clubs.

What is the best event you have played at?
It would have to be the 2nd Dieselboy party we threw, TOP-NOTCH!!!

What DJ would you most like to play alongside?
Funny enough, I always aspired to playing alongside Dieselboy. As far as producer/dj's go, "Stakka & Skynet" and "Ed Rush & Optical" would most definitely be at the top of the list.

INISHI8 have brought out Dieselboy a number of times to headline a party and then backed him up with quality local talent. Do you think there should be more big events with only SA DJs? or is the big international name backed by SA talent the best thing currently?

We bring out international artists so that we can keep the D&B public out there up-to-date with what D&B is going down worldwide. The way I see it, is that there would be a bigger following of local D&B talent if advertisers, sponsors and other promoters could see their potential. It would also improve if there were more local producers and DJs's representing the scene.

Thanks djP
=========================

See the original interview on their website here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

10:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home